Friday, July 24, 2009

Di Manno Designs in the very begginning...

Just wanted to share the "behind the scenes" with you before Di Manno Designs was launched.
My mother, Carmela Di Manno (in this pic) played a big role in helping me make my first few samples to give to my manufacturer. My aunt, Giuseppina Capraro also helped out, as she was spending Easter 2008 with us at my mom and dad's new home in South Carolina. I brought the leathers and python skin home with the strongest elastic bands I could find and they helped me to make samples.

A little history:
They both came to America from Cassino Italy when they were in their mid 20's. My mom worked for Dittrich Furs in Detroit MI for over 30 years managing a shop of seamstresses, who were all mostly Sicilian with a couple of Greeks thrown in there! lol I actually worked at Dittrich's for a little bit one summer when I was home from school. I helped out in the Shipping Department, packing boxes and storing fur coats. My sister and I used to go visit my mom at work sometimes when we were little. I used to love hopping on the rolling racks, going for little rides around the shop. I also used to like hiding in the long fur coats! lol Seems so silly, but looking back, I realize that without even knowing it then, my time spent there helped me to distinguish between different fabrics and furs, which I never expected to use, but the knowledge now is appreciated with my company! Also, I think with my trips to visit family in Rome and growing up with 2 full blooded Italians, (My dad is from Rome, Italy), I was always around good quality Italian clothing, leather and fabrics which made me appreciate good quality clothing and accessories from an early age. Being 100% Italian, I think "good fashion" tends to be instilled in you! I always loved wearing my mom's old outfits and my dad's old hats. I actually still enjoy wearing them! I always look forward going to Italy to check out the new fashions!

My aunt cooked at an elementary school in Woodhaven and on the side would make dresses for people. She actually made many of my dresses for parties and graduation. It was fun, I was able to design my own dress and she would make it exactly how I asked. She is great! I was so proud of my high school graduation outfit because it was unique, exactly what I wanted and I knew I wouldn't have the problem of showing up to a party with the same dress on as someone else since this was not sold in the stores! It was a creme silk half top that crossed in a V in the front and flowy creme silk pants to match. I paired it with a gold belt. Thanks Zia Giuseppina for all of my dresses growing up!:)

So with the both of them who are blessed in the sewing department, we cut and stitched the samples together, some by hand and some with the help of a sewing machine. Thanks ladies! :) I felt lucky to have them to help because I would not have been able to do it on my own. Of course I could have paid someone, but it is special to know that my family played an important role in the making of the Di Manno Designs prototype.

I am so thankful to have my mom and dad in my life. They are the greatest, most generous and loving parents I know. They have supported me unconditionally in all of my endeavors. My mom is the first person I call when I want advice or an opinion on making a business decision. She is wise and I am thankful she is here to help me with my company. She has never given bad advice so I value what she says very strongly. Everyone who knows me personally, knows I am a "daddy's girl" so Giuseppe (my dad in this pic) and I do not have the serious talks too much, but I absolutely love him to pieces and adore just being around him to hang and to laugh. They do say laughing is good for the soul:)

My mom is right...my ambition comes from her and my silly goofy side comes from my dad. I wouldn't have it any other way. Thanks for the wisdom and strength mom and dad thanks for the laughs and all the joy!
Love them!

1 comment: